Thursday, March 15, 2018

Two Antique Quilts from Maine and one is a Potholder Quilt

Yes, I said potholder  ... One of the joys of the American Quilt Study Group annual seminar is the antique quilt show (and the vendor booths). The 2017 Seminar had an amazing exhibit by collectors Debra Grana and Sharon Waddell. I'm sharing two of Deb's now and the first is a potholder quilt.


A potholder is a quilt as you go technique where each block is quilted and bound (treated like an individual small quilt) and then joined together to make a complete quilt. This example was done in two parts or perhaps cut in half.  *Potholder quilts are uncommon but most often were made in Maine or have some connection to Maine.



Quilt #2 Also from Maine - Debra Grana Collection.  A wonderful sampler, c. 1860. The sashing is a fugitive purple that turns to shades of brown from light exposure. T cut out for a poster bed like this one is a strong clue to a New England origin.




3 comments:

  1. I love Deb's potholder quilt. We had a lot of fun going over each block. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Wendy would be commenting on the potholder quilt! :) But I had no idea the method was unique to Maine. Stands to reason why Wendy makes them.
    My sister has a dress given to her that was made in the 1800s. It is a purple cotton print. It isn't out in light a lot, but she has had it since she was a child and has worn it for historical reenactments, as have myself and my other sister, and our daughters. It has also been used in an occasional display. The purple seems to have been unchanged, based on what you can see in the seams. I have always wondered if it sat out, if it would turn brown. Not that I want to find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the close up picture, the pink basket caught my attention. It was a good use of fabric design.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...