Thursday, March 22, 2018

Early Antique Quilts - Chips Whetstones (compass) and Mosaic Hexagon Diamonds

Two more wonderful quilts from the special exhibit at the American Quilt Study Group Seminar 2017 by Debra Grana and Sharon Waddell. Both of these are owned by Ms. Grana.

1st up is this stunning Chips & Whetstone, similar to a Mariner's Compass. Great early fabrics and fun dots in the block corners and finished up with a can't miss --- Zigzag border!!

 Click on pic to enlarge

Hexagons are often set in routine rosettes or flower garden settings but this hexagon mosaic or diamond setting is much less common. C. 1830



2 comments:

  1. I love that the zig-zag border isn't perfect, and just chopped off where it ends, rather than calculated to match up perfectly.
    I started a diamond hexagon quilt to demo when I used to volunteer at the heritage center here. I used repro newspapers from Nauvoo, and This Is The Place Pioneer village as my backing papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice chips and whetstones...I have an antique red and white one...lovely...It is hanging on my wall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...