Saturday, August 27, 2022

Halloween Mini Quilt - Marvelous Minis - Island Batik Ambassador August Challenge

I LOVE working small so this month's challenge was perfect for me! I decided to update one of my favorite past quilts using my sister's Scrappy Colorplay/Mix and Match technique and pattern. The secret of the quilt is making the same pattern look totally different by careful color placement. I made 6 different sets of blocks - 2 of each pattern. Can you figure out the matches? Try to find each set of blocks that are made with the same pattern. I'll share the answers further down in this post. 

**Note - the blocks are only 3 inches finished and some have 28 pieces in a single block!!! **

Something Mini This Way Comes
13" x 17"
Original Design
Sandra Starley 2022

Traditional foundation paper pieced blocks -fabrics by Island Batik: (Moonlight Hollow Collection)
Backing:  IB Grey (Foundation Basics)
Piecing Thread: Aurifil #50 weight
Quilting Thread: Aurifil #50 weight
Pieced and quilted by Sandra Starley 

***Fabrics provided by Island Batik, batting by Hobbs, thread by Aurifil, and needles by Schmetz and pressing mat by Prairie Spirit Alpacas. ***
 

 The finished size of the full quilt is only 13" x 17" with 12 blocks. Each block is just 3 inches and many of them with more than 20 pieces per block and some of them have 28 like the star shown below. Yes, I truly do love working small. 


Here's a close-up so you can pick out the matching blocks. I've been lucky to win awards for my miniature quilts and I may have to enter this one in a show or two.


Here's the 6 pairs of blocks - 6 different patterns repeated twice in different colorways. Isn't it fun to see them together. Which is your favorite pair? I like the last set with the Card Trick and fancy star.


The Moonlight Hollow - Halloween  Collection is in stores now and is a delight to work with and create. 

Pro - tip - sew sashing/cornerstones in strips and then cut to desired size. These  1" finished segments are SOOO much easier to make this way. I tried it both ways - okay, I did it the harder way first before my sister reminded me of the more efficient way ;)



To see more Marvelous Mini Quilts, visit my fellow 2022 Island Batik Brand Ambassadors:

Brenda Alburl ~ Songbird Designs
Megan Best ~ Bestquilter
Pamela Boatright ~ Pamelaquilts
Elizabeth DeCroos ~ Epida Studio
Jennifer Fulton ~ Inquiring Quilter

Preeti Harris ~ Sew Preeti Quilts
Mania Hatziioannidi ~ Mania for quilts
Jane Hauprich ~ Stitch By Stitch Custom Quilting
Reed Johnson ~ Blue Bear Quilts
Connie Kauffman ~ Kauffman Designs

Emily Leachman ~ The Darling Dogwood
Denise Looney ~ For The Love Of Geese
Leah Malasky ~ Quilted Delights
Maryellen McAuliffe ~ Mary Mack Made Mine
Anorina Morris – sameliasmum.com

Lisa Pickering ~ Lisa’s Quilting Passion
Claudia Porter ~ Create with Claudia
Gail Renna ~ Quilt Haven Threads
Brianna Roberts ~ Sew Cute And Quirky
Michelle Roberts ~ Creative Blonde

Gail Sheppard ~ Quilting Gail
Andi Stanfield ~ True Blue Quilts
Jennifer Thomas ~ Curlicue Creations
Suzy Webster ~ Websterquilt

3 comments:

  1. Sandra, what a fun Halloween quilt! I really like this collection...and all those little pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute quilt, Sandra! This looks like it was a lot of fun to sew. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful little creation, Sandra! I studied the quilt and could NOT come up with all the pairs. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...